Wilbur!


We went to see Willie at the animal hospital last night. He had surgery to remove a kidney stone that had traveled into his bladder. They showed us the stone. It was the size of a peanut. The texture resembled a mixture of a peach pit and a lava rock. Very jagged and painful looking. He weighs 18 pounds, so having a peanut sized peach pit in his bladder must have been so painful. They told us that the inside of his bladder is pretty damaged. But, the stone is out and he’s now recovering.

Last night we went to the animal hospital to visit him, he was so drugged. He was in a pretty large crate and had an IV attached to his little paw. His eyes were barely open but he managed to limp into Ben’s lap and immediately fall asleep. It was truly a Hallmark moment. I was really sad to have to leave him and hear him cry as we walked out. Hopefully I’ll be able to take him home today.

6 comments:

Christine said...

such a cute little guy. The kidney stone sounds kind of cute too, peanut sized and all. But not under these circumstances! Hope that you get to take him home today and that he's back to himself soon...

Unknown said...

This made me so sad...I bet it is so confusing what is going on to a poor little dog.
I hope you get to take him home tomorrow.I was the same way about my cat Honey.I remember when I got her the Vet tested her for feline leukemia...I guess it is a standard test,but I was scared out of my mind she would have it.
She didin't,but it felt like such a long time waiting for the result.I thnk in reality it was like ten minutes. I had her 7 years from the time I was 18 to 25.She really was my first baby.Like 2 months before I had Michael she started acting strange.We took her to the vet thinking it was a cold or something and we found out she had kidney failure.We had to put her down that night.I am not kidding I don't think I left my bed for days...
wow, sorry for the rambling morbid post...It was meant to illustrate I related but then spiraled out of control:)
Get him home soon! Will the damage to his bladder be a problem or does the vet think he will be o.k.?

Christine said...

I woke up this morning thinking of Wilbur - is he home with you and Ben yet? Get well soon Wilbur!

ab said...

Hi Christine & Stacy! Thank you for the good thoughts. We were able to take Willie home last night. He's a little slow and very out of it, but I can tell that he's really happy to be sleeping in his own bed.

Stacy, the damage to his bladder will heal over time, with the help of some really strong antibiotics.

Kiddo78 said...

Awww...I'm not even a gushy "animal person," but this made me feel for the poor dog! I'm glad he's home and around familiar surroundings again!

:) said...

im a sucker for dogs. this is a sad story :( i hope he recovers soon.
my doggie is 20 pounds..i can relate.