Why everybody needs a dog

I have always had dogs. With the exception of the time when I was in college, I have always had at least one dog in my home. Right now I have 2.

On Thursday night I was watching TV. With my husband sleeping next to me in a post-Thanksgiving dinner coma, I was changing channels trying to find something to watch.

Suddenly I saw something out of the corner of my eye. 15 minutes later I saw it again. A mouse! In my home! My clean, perfect home! Scurrying out of the kitchen and into my dining room! After numerous attempts I discovered that it was coming out from under the kitchen sink, probably looking for food. But we NEVER leave food out. Then I figured it out. The DOG FOOD. So we set some mouse traps. The only good that did was to snap on my husband's finger as he set it. So I did something I never thought would work. I made a deal with the dogs.

Since the mouse was going for the dog food, I figured it was their God-given duty to protect it. I mean, it's pretty much the only thing they eat. So I told them, if they catch the mouse, they can have some left-over ham. I was desparate. We even shook on it.

Well, wouldn't you know it, the very next morning there is a dead mouse next to the dog's bed. She's just looking up at me, smiling away, as if to say "So we had a deal. Pay up, lady." Needless to say they both REALLY enjoyed their ham. And I'm enjoying a mouse-free existence.

No comments: